Tuesday 27 May 2014

My Facial Routine: Cleanse, Tone & Prime


Over the years I've had the odd one or two people ask me about how I keep my skin so clear (don't get me wrong I have my days when it isn't). 

Ever since I created this blog I've always wanted to make a post about my skin routine but never really had the chance to, because I didn't feel fully satisfied with the routine I was using at the time. Like my hair it has taken me a few years to finally discover and create the PERFECT routine! For me, a facial routine is essential, it's important because not only is it hygienic but it allows you to feel good about yourself. Especially for us girls it allows you to feel that little bit more confident about yourself. I don't know about anyone else but it's the little things in life that makes me happy and my facial routine happens to be one of them. So just briefly, there are 4 steps all together : Cleanse, scrub, tone and prime (step 2 isn't as important but I'll get to that later), 3 of them I use daily and one step I use weekly. Don't forget to also keep in mind that this is my own individual routine and depending on your skin type will always create different regimes. The products I use are Liz Earle and Clinique, I've included the links on where you can purchase these items within the name of each product.

STEP1: Cleanse 

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish
100ml £14.75

I cannot stress any more how essential it is to wash your face EVERY DAY no matter the skin type. Your skin produces oils and dead skin cells that need washing away and leaving this will just clog up your skin to produce spots. If I'm not mistaken, junk food does not cause spots (information taken from Embarrassing Bodies, but I'm no doctor!) but I do always notice a difference in drinking water rather than fizzy drinks because at least water can flush away all the crap! I use Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish, now I know some of you may be thinking that this product is a bit pricey but these cheap supermarket brands contain a lot of harsh chemicals and they always left my skin feeling either very dry or very oily but this natural, rich concentrated cream gently removes dirt and make-up and leaves the skin feeling smooth and refreshed (I sound like I'm selling the stuff). This product can also come with a muslin cloth which gently sweeps away dirt and dead skin cells and thanks to this you don't need to rinse your face for over 10 minutes trying to remove all the cream and dirt. I use this once a day in the morning, never twice a day because massaging the pores too much with my skin combination will produce too much oil and will result in spots. 


STEP 2: Scrub

Liz Earle Gentle Face Exfoiliator
70ml £14.00

This step isn't so essential. I use this once a week and it basically removes dead skin cells and buffs the skin so that it leaves it feeling soft and smooth. Again, all natural ingredients, no harsh chemicals, buffs the skin revealing a brighter and healthier looking skin. Focusing on the t-zone (forehead, nose and chin) and jawline in soft circular motions you would use this after the Cleanse and Polish because it wouldn't make sense to buff a dirty face. That would be like buffing chipped nails, you gotta file first lol. I rarely use this product but it's good for a back up face wash if you run out of any others


STEP 3: Tone

Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic 
200ml £13.25

This one is in the name. Tone. Natural ingredients, beautifully scented ever so slightly and no alcohol to harm your skin with. This product is used to balance the oils in your skin. With an oily skin combination like mine toning is like a drug, I NEED IT! I use this daily, every morning after I wash my skin. I also advise waiting 15 minutes after toning before applying any make up because the toner needs to settle into the skin. Applying any form of make up will just not blend in and will go patchy and blotchy. Toning also gives you that natural glow to your face and just adds to the all round smoothing of the skin. 


STEP 4: Prime (the final step) 

Clinique Superprimer Colour Corrects Dullness in Deeper Skins
£20


I tried Clinique's face washes in the past but found their products too harsh for my skin and left it feeling very dry and tight. HOWEVER, this primer does WONDERS! For those who don't know what a primer is, it's almost like a very very very light and fluffy foundation, it acts a base and preps you before applying make up, allowing make up to sit perfectly on your skin without blemishes, patches or blotches. This product comes in all shapes and forms so if you're not too sure on your skin type then you can go for the universal primer for all skin types. There is also a primer for sallowness, redness, dullness and discolouration, each providing a unique set of uses. I use dullness in deeper skins, deeper skins just means for those with darker skin tones. It leaves the skin so smooth like a baby's bottom ( and trust me when I say that, I'm not exaggerating) and it corrects all that dullness and paleness you find when you wake up. Apply it to the areas where you think needs it or all over the face. I notice if I apply it to certain parts of the face, the places I didn't place it on, the make up will just look pasty. So my advise: Apply it everywhere! 


So that's that! For all my friends who have always wondered why it takes me so long to get ready, there's the other half to the answer. Now all you have to do is add that to the time it takes me to do my hair in my last blog post!!  If you have any queries on any of these products or just some advise don't be afraid to hit up the comments below or send me a message whether it's through Twitter or on here, so feel free! I don't bite :) 









No comments:

Post a Comment